Monday, December 1, 2008

Things 15 & 16 Wikis

Librarians are sometimes skeptical of Wikipedia (the mother of all Wikis). I have met teachers that seem to view Wikipedia with the same skepticism as many librarians. They have asked me, "What do you think of Wikipedia?" I love Wikipedia, therefore I could be convinced to be pretty fond of wikis in general. This occurred. A coworker pitched our circulation staff on the idea of using and contributing to a circulation wiki. As a sign of solidarity I made an information wiki. We used pbwiki.

For quite some time I have kept a file in our G: drive (now a V: drive for some reason) called the Information Desk Rolodex. This was an attempt to ween our staff off the practice of keeping EVERYTHING in a printed file at the desk. Having a wiki made this file better. I dumped most of these saved items in the wiki. Now my file is searchable by keyword.

Years ago I suggested that our branch obtain a scanner and software that allowed for scanning documents and tagging them with keywords to create a searchable database. Since our copiers can scan items allowing us to store things digitally we can now keep them in the wiki too. In this case a wiki can replace that database idea.

So yeah, I love wikis.

P.S. I have played in the wiki sandbox.

No comments: